So, I did a thing! I have to admit that all of this indoor time has made me a very productive sewist! This project was already on the books, but the time it took to complete it was definitely accelerated by all the global events taking place.
For the blazer I used a Mimi G/Simplicity pattern 8749. There’s a fantastic tutorial that she has on YouTube. It’s very thorough and she takes you through the steps very clearly. I didn’t have enough interfacing so I actually used linen as my interfacing on my front facing (aka the lapels). I made a post about it too! I really liked how it elevated the look in my opinion. There’s something very organic and natural about only using linen and it makes it even more special to me. It really changed the weight and drape of the lapels too, so I will be using this technique in the future.
For the shorts I used the Pietra pattern from Closet Case. This was my first time using their patterns and I really enjoyed the directions and the fit. The directions were very clear and I finished the shorts in one evening. I used the same linen/interfacing substitute for my front facing and once again, I was blown away by the nice drape and smoothness that really shows in the front. These shorts are a nice fit with an elastic band in the back. I definitely plan on making more. I barely altered this pattern. I took the rise up by one inch. Easy peasy!
For my blouse, this is a somewhat oldie but goodie. It’s the Victory tank by Chalk & Notch that I made last year. I figured since it shares the same color palette that it would make a really nice touch to this overall look!
Overall I made my entire outfit in about 3 days. And the blazer was probably one of the most satisfying projects I’ve done in a long time. I’m so excited that I was able to challenge myself and learn new skills. For anyone intimidated by a jacket or a blazer…I highly encourage you to take your time and use a pattern that has a lot of resources like a tutorial and/or thorough directions. Good luck girl! You can do this!